Friday, January 15, 2010

First Happy Dance of 2010

It took me longer than I'd expected, but then I had a lot of things on the go. Here is the Happy Couple!


And the whole scene looks like this:
My Betrothed Sampler
by Birds of a Feather (BOAF)
used recommended floss, linen may be Lentil from Lakeside Linens

I did change the tips of the flowers to use Pumpkin Patch. Also, I hadn't realized that there is a deliberate extra stitch in the upper and lower borders on the right triangle. Oh well, I made do.

I am very happy with this. BOAF designs always make me feel happy even if there are sometimes more colour changes than I would like. This one was pretty 'tame'. The next BOAF chart I want to do is this one:
A Very Fine Sampler

I've wanted to stitch this for many years so finally I will tackle it but first I just found and ordered a piece of 36 count Barn Owl and will wait for it to come before stitching it. What I have in the picture is 32 count.

So, while I wait for that, I think I will go to another favourite designer I haven't stitched for awhile, and that is Blackbird Designs.
Coincidentally, the name of this is "Birds of a feather" and is a reproduction sampler. I am using all the recommended floss except for the last two on the right hand side (bit more toned down). I am going to stitch them on 35 ct WDW Parchment, a new favourite!

If anyone is looking for linens, I happened upon this sale and bought some for meself! It will take a couple of weeks before they will get here so I can't tell you what they are really like yet but thought you might like to take a look.

This week, a giftie arrived from Anna. I love that hair, very nordic!
We were afraid it might have gotten lost in the post but it did arrive and this cute little ornament will adorn our next Christmas' decorations! Thank you Anna!

Is anyone starting to get excited about the next (Nashville) market? I AM! I saw this on Alma's blog - oh my, I want it NOW! The design reminds me of ones they did a couple of years ago and I hope they are going back to doing some samplers again! Well, I suppose the waiting is half the fun! It's nice to see some sneak peeks!

I want to mention some things from my last post :
  1. We are NOT experiencing snow here at all. I was only showing a photo from Winter 2009. This year so far it's been buckets of rain and irony of ironies we could use the snow this winter because we are hosting a little event called the Winter Olympics! Oh well, the event is 4 weeks away and the weather could change!
  2. I will reuse that frame you saw last week. I actually found 3 maybe 4 older framed things (not all stitching) where I might reuse the frames - trying to score some points for the "Make Do" motto.
  3. I have found a new home for my ship sampler. Thank you Catherine!
Oh, finally, a little hint of things to come. Did anyone notice the little pair of scissors in my picture above? I bought this tiny, innocent little pair before Christmas and it arrived a couple of weeks ago. Since then, scissor-mania has started! Yes, you've infected me! In particular I want to "thank" Miss Jane for "inspiring" me. Look at all those scissors in her post!

That's it, dearies! I appreciate your visits and your comments. Keep well and have a wonderful weekend!

32 comments:

staci said...

Gorgeous sampler finish! And your next two projects are as lovely as can be. Uh-Oh...scissors!!! You really can't have too many, lol ;)

Mel said...

Lovely finish! And great new projects to start.
Oh no... scissors... I'm gonna get stuck in the trap. ;)

Barbi said...

Congrats on your finish it looks great! And your new projects look like fun stitches. I love A Very Fine Sampler, it's one I wouldn't mind stitching myself.

Vonna said...

Congratulations on your finish! I love it :)
And your newly kitted and ready to go samplers are beautiful, can't wait to see them G-R-O-W ;o)

Tanya said...

Pretty, pretty, pretty!!

Tanya

Cathy B said...

Congrats on your finish; I really like BOAF designs too, I have many in my stash that are waiting to be stitched.

I need to go look at Alma's blog now!

Nancy said...

Fantastic finish! Your sampler is wonderful in every way, and your next projects look just as fun.

doris said...

Sarah Gale is gorgeous. Makes me wanna head on over to ebay to see if I can find her. Bad, bad girl! The items in your stitchy future are also drool-worthy.

Irene said...

Great finish and the next 2 look nice. I have those scissors on my list to buy this year,a stitcher can never have too many :)

Evik said...

Melissa, wonderful finish ... congratulations!
Scissor-mania ... came to me also. One I got from my husband for Christmas and now I have ordered some of Yuko. And I have still a few :)))

Have a very nice day!
Eva

KarenV said...

What a great finish! You stitched the last part up pretty fast :)

Where did you order your Barn Owl linen from please? I want to get some and the Ebay seller I normally use hasn't had any for a while.

Can't wait to see your BBD BOAF start - that's one I really want to stitch myself at some point. I like the idea of using the Parchment and might steal it for myself ;)

Our snow has all gone so maybe it is on the way to you? Hope you get enough for the WO! Have a great weekend!

Jane said...

What an amazing first finish for 2010! It looks fantastic, Melissa.

Scissors, scissors, scissors. As Irene says - you can never have too many. Now, what else can I get you collecting? :)

Lois said...

Yay!!! Happy dancing with you Melissa on your first 2010 finish! It's a beauty. Loving your choices for your next two starts too. What a cute ornament and as for scissors? I probably have more pairs than I care to admit too but a stitcher needs lots of scissors so I say go for it!

Have a good weekend!

Brigitte said...

A great finish indeed. And your next BOAF project is just as beautiful.
I will also stitch a new BBD project this year like evry year. But I chose one of their bird samplers Their Song. I'm already looking forward to it.
I wish you some snow for the Olympic Games. I would be very happy to not have snow here, lol.

Margaret said...

Beautiful finish!!! I just love it! I also love the next two pieces you are planning on doing. I love BoaF and BBD! And yes, I agree with you about market too. Can't wait! Cute present from Anna too.

Bummer about the snow -- I'd forgotten where the Winter Olympics were this year so thanks for reminding me! lol! And scissors -- oh yes, I have an obsession with scissors! Have you seen Yuko's blog recently??

Catherine said...

Lovely finish! And I love the new projects -- I enjoy both of those designers as well. It will be fun to watch your progress on these.

Scissors can be so addicting can't they?

Katrina said...

I love the Betrothed Sampler, congrats on the finish. Great new starts too :-).

I am completely addicted to scissors, it's a whole nother hobby, LOL.

Terri(TerriBoog) said...

Fantastic finish, Melissa! You and I both have a big ole thing for BoaF designs, don't we? I love the AVFS one you're going to work on nest - the colors are gorgeous! I love the fabric and your silks for the BBD sampler - you are going to have quite a collection of lovelies!!!

Off now to check out the fabric sale you mentioned and I'm so glad you've decided to join us on the scissors dark side. Did you check out Yuko's blog? http://yuks-behappy.blogspot.com/ she's got some great scissors for sale!
Have a great weekend, dear Melissa!

Siobhan said...

Wahoo!! Congrats on your beautiful finish, Melissa! I love it. BOAF designs do that to me, too--they just make me happy. Love the new projects, too. I have the first one in my stash & hope to get to it, and I did finish BBD's BOAF. It's one of my favorite samplers--I do wish they'd do more repro samplers, especially with silk. I saw that preview on Alma's blog and have been jonesing since. I haven't stitched many BBD items in 2009 though I did stash them... I hope 2010 will change that. They're another designer that just makes me happy.

Hope you have a great weekend! BTW, I'm 3 hours into The Swan Thieves & loving every second. Treat Williams could read me the back of a cereal box, though, and I'd be enthralled.

Deb said...

Wonderful finish Melissa, and I love the two new projects that you have picked out. I especially love the BOAF piece. Your linen and silks you've picked out will look wonderful. I'm so happy to hear that you've gone over the the dark side with the scissors. Once I started collecting those things, I haven't been able to stop. I was a victim to Yuku's scissors recently and you should check them out. I think Terri provided the link above. They're reasonable priced and very pretty!

Kellie said...

Hi Melissa!!
Congratulations on your beautiful My Betrothed finish!! A happy dance for sure. It is simply gorgeous. I know what you mean about BOAF designs. They ARE happy designs, aren't they? :) I love both of your new soon to be projects that you have pictured. I think you have a good eye for fabric selection and tweaking thread colors. :) I would have never thought to "tone down" the bright colors in the BBD sampler and would have just went by what was listed. I can't wait to see how your conversion looks. I always love the changes you make.

I am very excited about the Nashville market. I can't wait to see CHS's Autumn in Hawk Run Hollow and the Plum Street Sampler one. I love the sneak peeks too!

Welcome to the scissor mania club. I am a card carrying member myself. LOL!! Those are really cute!

Have a great weekend!!

Ranae said...

Woohoo!! happy dance!!
I love it! it thurned out great.
Scissors don't get me started, can a stitcher possibly have too many??!! lol
I can't wait for the market. I am saving my money. I think I know what I am getting, that I am sure that will change though, lol
Love the two new things you picked. I always have a BBD in progress. I stitched on Februaury Hearts this morning. Now off to stitch on the BOAF sampler, Thanks for the inspiration, dear!

Tammy said...

Oh joy on your finish! It's lovely! I love BOAF too. Your next one looks beautiful and will sure be fun!

valerie said...

Beautiful finish! You whipped out that second half really fast! Can't wait to see your starts on AVFS and BOAF...they are beautiful patterns! I think you'll have a lot of fun with them! I'm trying to avoid the Market stuff...I'm on a stash diet! lol Cute gift from Anna! Hope you're enjoying the weekend!

Cari said...

Melissa, what a wonderful finish, just beautiful! I love this sampler and have added it to my wish list! And your next two starts are fabulous! I have the BBD and just need to order the fabric - it's at the top of my pile at the moment!

Deb and Terri are right, Yuko's scissor sale is amazing! Such beautiful choices and all reasonably priced. I can't wait for mine to arrive in the mail.

What a lovely gift from Anna and so glad that it wasn't lost in snail mail-land.

Will you guys be attending the Olypmics? I had forgotten that they were going to take place so soon.

Can't wait to see your progress on your new WIP!

GIGI said...

成人圖庫,口交技巧,成人18,自慰方法,Fleshlight,情色自拍貼圖,成人情色貼圖,少婦自拍,一夜情聊天,本土av,色情av,av圖片,色情聊天,成人情色網,080視訊聊天室icandy,080視訊聊天室icandy,080視訊聊天室icandy,080視訊聊天室icandy,080視訊聊天室icandy,080視訊聊天室icandy,080視訊聊天室icandy,080視訊聊天室icandy,080視訊聊天室icandy,080視訊聊天室icandy,080視訊聊天室icandy,080視訊聊天室icandy,080視訊聊天室icandy,080視訊聊天室icandy,080視訊聊天室icandy,080視訊聊天室icandy,080視訊聊天室icandy,080視訊聊天室icandy,情色少女貼圖,免費視 訊聊天網,av女優18,免費線上視訊fm358,avdvd免費AV女優,女優王國,做愛,無碼影片,情色交友

Kajsa said...

The sampler turned out great! So pretty!

Nicole said...

Beautiful finish Melissa! I just love this sampler. I can't wait to see your start on Birds of a Feather. I have wanted to stitch this one for a long time! :)

Suzanne said...

Your sampler is just beautiful. I love the new piece you are going to start. I must say the reason I went out and purchased a whole heap of BoAF designs was because I saw them on your blog. Now there is another one that I want, lol!

Jo Ann said...

Melissa, here is another funny story about scissors. I have a HUGE collection, and one night while my sweetie was at work I decided to get them all out and just see how many I had and to look at each pair and enjoy them. Well, I must have gotten tired and fell asleep on the couch and when I awoke I just stumbled to bed. The next morning when Gary came home and came in to wake me up he said "honey, don't go in the front room, I think a scissor factory blew up in there." We all still laugh about that one. Jo Ann

Karoline said...

It's gorgeous Melissa, congratulations

Lennu said...

Congratulations, Melissa, it's a wonderful sampler! Your sewing also looks great, wow, you finished a quilt! It looks beautiful :)